Thursday, June 25, 2009

Confirmation that Basij are brought in from abroad

It appears that the Basiji are now imported from other strongholds around the Middle East. Many from inside have been saying that the Basiji now are communicating with each other in Arabic. According to a translated article on roozonline, the Iranian Basiji would also receive about $200 a day for their service, but they wouldn't get much else that is better. The translation is below:

I receive $200 (equivalent) a day

Jalal Keyhan Manesh

Saturday morning June 13th, while Tehran had a day with plenty of tension ahead, the faces of plain clothed individuals with a stick in one hand beating the people became more visible. These people are often hired on daily basis and as one of them states, “the Iranian men receive $200 a day while non-Iranians are paid multiple of that amount.” The plain clothed vigilante that the Rooz reporter interviewed also stated; “we stay in dormitories but non-Iranians stay in hotels.”

The following is an exclusive interview.

Plain clothed but with helmets of anti-riot police began to appear in the streets four days prior to the announcement of election results, and their accents are unfamiliar. Some eyewitnesses state, “these vigilantes say things that we do not understand.” Some also give specific reports that they encountered Arabic speaking vigilantes. Yesterday I found the opportunity to speak to one of these plain clothed individuals at a sandwich shop.

I was inside the shop when he entered. He ordered a cold drink, all while he was still holding his stick. I started a conversation with him.

Hello brother, strength be upon you
God bless you (with a fear hidden in his eyes he spoke with a thick accent)

Where are you from?

Torbat

Torbat?
Torbat-e Jaam

How old are you?

36

You must also have wife and kids?
No, wife and kids are costly. I’m unemployed.

Unemployed? Aren’t you Basiji? Don’t you get paid by the Revolutionary Guard Corp?
No, I’m not a Basiji. I’m unemployed.

But you are employed right now, no?
Ya

Why are you holding a stick?

They have brought us here to beat the wrongdoers. They have gave us this stick for the same reason.

Who gave it to you?

Haji (religious “Chief?”). He said hit them so that they aren’t able to get back up. These people are traitors.

What do you think?

I don’t care about these things, I get my money.

You get paid to beat people. And you enjoy it huh

Ya! They pay us to hit. Wouldn’t you do the same?

How much do they pay anyway?
200 a day. (A smile appears in his eyes) 200 thousand toman ($200).

That’s a lot. What do you want to do with this money?

I’ll go get married. I can even get 2 wives with all the money that I have. Do you know how much it would be? Two million ($2000). I might not go back to Torbat anymore. I might just stay here. Haji said there will be more protests to come; they’ll give us a job.

How long have you been in Tehran?

3 days, I will stay here for 7 more days.

Where are the other guys with you from?
I don’t know everyone, but in our dormitory there are people from Mazandaran, Arak, and Khouzestan. Including Torbat-e Heydariye, and Khaf. (He has finished his drink. Asked for a string of cigarette. I gave him one. He lit it. While smoking he continued.)

There are Arabs among you too, no?
Yea, but I have heard they are taken to hotels. They say they are here from Lebanon. Last night we were fed tuna fish for dinner. Other guys say the Arabs were given better meals.

Where is your dormitory?
I dunno. I am not familiar with Tehran. But it’s far. I go this way to get there. (He points towards the East of Tehran)

Have you ever been to Tehran in the past?
No, it’s my first time.

Do you pray as well?
Yes. But here they say you cannot even go to the bathroom when on a mission.

You don’t become uneasy beating people?
People? Haji says those who yell out chants and slogans are here to create mischief. I believe him. He is a Haji. You know, Haji doesn’t lie (referring to the religious background of his). (At this point a large guy entered the shop. He looked around with a frown and saw the young individual.)

He said: What are you doing here? Who are you talking to?
The guy responded: nothing, I came to get a soda.
Large man said: Go back to your post, hurry.


The man picked his stick up and walked away. He had a cold drink and was refreshed. Seven more days to come, will he still be here for more work?

Thank you to Anonymous Iran for the translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment